Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Making Cake Flour

Cake flour. It sounds intimidating to a newbie baker like me. It not only sounds expensive, it seems like being used only by professional bakers. Thank God there's Joy who understands us newbies and always ready to share a tip or two.

Cake flour lightens the cake crumb, making it softer. I almost always use cake flour for my baked goodies though the ingredients only call for all-purpose flour. Though I see cake flour available in baking supplies stores that I frequent, I prefer to make my own. It is very easy to make. Let me show you...

1. Measure out the all-purpose flour that your recipe requires.


2. For every cup of flour, take out two tablespoons of flour, return it to the bin and replace it with two tablespoons of cornstarch.


3. Sift the flour and cornstarch together for five times. The cornstarch and flour need to be well incorporated and the flour aerated.


Your cake flour is now ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment